Sunday, October 31, 2010

Garage Sale overload

I am on garage sale overload! I went to a estate sale on Friday that was so cool that I spent 2 hours there (and had to call Ken for backup and additional cash) and then I went back today for half price day and found even more fun things!

Here is a small sampling:

A really cool art deco pair of orange glass candlesticks. These are heavy and sleek. So very cool and I LOVE the color!

A diminutive bird to hold recipes or place cards. She is just over an inch tall and so cute! I found 2 of these.

A neat old moonstone and brass set of screw-back earrings. I love that these are so detailed, they have intricate filigree on the backs. So pretty!
This is a very small peek at what I found at that great sale. If that is what estate sales are always like I am going to make sure that I attend many more.
but then, the garage sale find of the year..
Ken, Annie and I pulled up to a garage sale not expecting much. It was the last one that we were going to before heading home. Their advertisement just mentioned 'household goods and a washer and dryer set'.
I looked around and was happy to see two pieces of Frankoma pottery in the Ranch pattern. I picked them up for cheap, found a neat fall leaf table runner and went to pay.

There was a table with 4 brightly colored bowls, slightly dusty and marked from 7-15 dollars each. I looked at them, and then decided to pass since I had spent too much money at the estate sale.
As we drove away I told Ken I should have bought them, even though I didn't really know what they were. I decided to pull out my phone and Google what I remembered of the largest bowl. I knew I had seen the style before but couldn't remember anything about it until my Google query pulled up "carnival glass". A quick, more detailed Google later and I knew I had to get back to that sale.
We were almost home so dropped Ken off and then Annie and I went back.
The bowls were still there (thank God)
The lady explained they were her husband's grandmas bowls. The grandma had died and they didn't like the bowls so they decided to sell them. I couldn't pull my money out fast enough and 40 dollars later I held myself back from running to the car with them in my arms.
Here is one of them.
This is the largest, and ironically, the least valuable. I bought a carnival glass book and have spent about 2 hours on the internet researching this find. This one is a Grapes and Cable pattern by Northwood.
Just look at the purple glow when you hold it up to sunlight!
I am hoping to get about $80-$100 out of this one. It is the only one that I have listed on eBay. The other 3 I am trying to decide if I should list and hope for the best, or contact an auction house specializing in carnival glass. One of the bowls, ironically the $7 one, is worth at least $300 and maybe more depending on the color classification.
This new hobby/money making adventure of mine is just like a full-time job but I am enjoying it way more!
Speaking of job, I start a part-time job doing court clerk work on Monday! Nervous about it but hoping for the best :)

1 comment: