Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Favorites -- Book

Recently I was listening to a favorite podcast of mine, Rick Steves, when he interviewed an author by the name of Leslie Carroll. I loved that she was so passionate about her new book (pun intended :) and I was inspired to pick it up for me Kindle.
The book is Notorious Royal Marriages.

I just have to say-- you need to read this if for nothing else than the Napoleon section. Poor Josephine.

I loved this book! The book was set up chronologically, with each chapter devoted to a different royal marriage. The chapters were well filled out, with excerpts from letters and publications from the time. This was one book I wish I didn't finish so quickly.
I have been reading and watching anything I can get my hands on about the Tudors recently. I have always had a hard time keeping all the wives straight in my (well attached thank you) head. I, for some reason, thought there was eight wives. Which when reading all the names with the Annes and the Janes etc, only thoroughly confused me.


This book gave each wife of Henry VIII her own chapter, which was helpful in squaring them all away in my mind. I have been watching The Tudors TV show, and to see that the show had pulled quotes and information from the past and wove them into the TV show was very cool.

There are stories from Italy, Russia, Germany, and France; just to name a few. I never realised how very intertwined all the royal families really are until I read this book.


The last couple discussed was Prince Charles and Diana. It was so interesting to look at their relationship in comparison against all the other stories I read. We really are not so different from our ancestors at all.
I highly recommend this saucy book for all the great details, fun gossip, and for each very entertaining story it presents..

1 comment: